About Steve Kolk, ACAS, MAAA
Steve Kolk is president of Kolkulations, LLC, a risk analysis consulting firm that deploys data mining, predictive modeling and geospatial technology to drive client profitability. A sought-after speaker, Steve is considered one of the nation’s foremost actuarial experts in climate change.
Having 40 years of property & casualty actuarial experience the Michigan native serves as a member of the Climate Change Committee of the North American Actuarial Societies, which constructed the first-of-its-kind Actuaries Climate Index. Launched in 2016, the public index reveals climate risk trends on a quarterly basis.
For the American Academy of Actuaries’ Extreme Event Risk Committee, he co-authored the Flood Issue Brief for the U.S. Congress this year. As a volunteer advisor to the U.S. Department of Transportation, he co-authored the award-winning report, Hampton Roads Climate Impact Quantification – Baseline Assessment in 2016.
While serving as chief actuary and senior modeler at CoreLogic, Kolk applied geospatial and modeling technologies to develop scientific catastrophe models and new products, including the company’s Hazard Risk Score, which blends nine catastrophic property hazards to be the modeling company’s best mortgage-default predictor.
He graduated with honors from Calvin College in Grand Rapids with a B.A. in mathematics.
- Extreme Events and Property Lines Committee, Vice Chairman of Flood Analysis Task Force, American Academy of Actuaries, (2018 – Present)
- ClimateCon participant, with Asheville, NC, Scientists, NOAA and NCEI experts, (March 2018)
- Citizens Climate Lobby, Ann Arbor Presentation Action Team, (2016 – Present)
- US Department of Transportation (DOT) (2014 – 2016) Insurance Industry advisor/contributor
- InFocus Seminar Planning Committee, Casualty Actuarial Society (2013 – 2015)
- Climate Change Committee, North American Actuarial Societies (2010 – Present)
- Nexus of Climate Data, Insurance, and Adaptive Capacity, Climate Change Data: The Actuarial Climate (and Climate Risk) Indices, November 2018, Asheville, NC
- Climate Resilience Summit, Actuaries Climate Risk Data, October 2018, Seattle, WA
- 2018 Actuarial Simon Lecture, Extreme Value Theory and Quantification of Climate Risks, October 2018, Michigan State University, East Lansing, MI
- Indonesia Actuarial Conference, Measuring Climate Change: The Actuarial Climate (and Climate Risk) Indices, October 2018, Jakarta, Indonesia
- Actuarial Risk Conference, Measuring Climate Change with the Actuaries Climate Index (ACI), August 2018, London, Ontario
- Arditti Center Summer Risk Conference, Actuaries Climate Index (ACI) and the Actuaries Climate Risk Index (ACRI), DePaul University, August 2018, Chicago, IL
- International Association of Black Actuaries, Measuring Climate Change: The Actuarial Climate (and Climate Risk) Indices, July 2018, Atlanta, GA
Michigan State University, Extreme Value Theory and Actuarial Risk Measurement: Two simple, potent actuarial paradigm shifts, May 2018, East Lansing, MI
- Midwest Actuarial Forum, The Actuaries Climate Index: Climate Change Extremes and Prospective Insurance Impacts, March 2018, Bloomington, IL
- Joint Statistical Meeting of the American Statistical Association, organized a panel of experts on Extreme ValueAnalytics and Data Visualization of Catastrophic Risk Analysis, 2017, Baltimore. [This panel helped forge an official partnership in 2018 between the Casualty Actuarial Society and the American Statistical Association.]
- Association of Insurance and Reinsurance Runoff Companies, organized an educational panel on climate about The Actuaries Climate Index and The Impact of Climate Change on the Property & Casualty Industry, 2017, New York City
- Citizens Climate Lobby, Of Actuaries, Climate Change & Sea Level Rise, 2017, St. Petersburg, Florida (February), Ann Arbor, Michigan (August)
- Economic Impacts of Sea-Level Risk in Hampton Roads conference, Old Dominion University, An Appraisal of the Actuaries Climate Risk Index, Keynote Speaker, 2016, Suffolk, Virginia
- Severe Weather Workshop, CAS Ratemaking and Product Management Conference, Climate Risk and the P&C Industry, 2016, Orlando, Florida
- CAS Academic Webinar, Climate Change and the P&C Industry, 2015
- Center for Sea Level Rise, Old Dominion University, Actuarial Climate Risk Analysis, 2015, Norfolk, Virginia
- Southwest Actuarial Forum, The Impact of Climate Change on Actuarial Methods, 2014, San Antonio, Texas
- National Association of Insurance Commissioners, The Actuaries’ Climate Index, 2014, twice: Louisville, Kentucky & St. Louis, Missouri.
- CAS Ratemaking & Product Management Conference, Sea Level Rise Impact Illustrations, 2014, Orlando, Florida
- Chicago Actuarial Association, Actuaries’ Climate Index Progress Report, 2013, Chicago, Illinois
- Co-author (with AAA Extreme Events Risk Committee) of Flood Issue Brief for the US Congress and the NAIC, 2018
- Expert contributor to The SLR Factor in The CAS Actuarial Review, March 2018
- Co-author of Hampton Roads Climate Impact Quantification- Baseline Assessment, 2016, which received the DOT Secretarial Sustainability Award – Climate Champion.
- Co-author of CoreLogic annual Storm-Surge reports 2011, 2012, 2013
- Co-author of CoreLogic annual Wildfire reports 2012, 2013